Energy & Natural Resources is one of the Ost Legal’s priority practice areas. The firm’s team has unprecedented experience in Russian energy sector. For the past ten years Ost Legal has been working with such majors as: OJSC TNK-BP (ОАО «ТНК-ВР»), E.On, JSC "INTERRAO UES" (ОАО «ИНТЕР РАО ЕЭС»), OJSC RusHydro (ОАО «РусГидро»), Enel - OGK-5 (ОГК 5), OGK-3 (ОГК-3), IES-Holding (КЭС – Холдинг), Sibur (Сибур).
The work of the firm has been marked by large number of awards and letters of recommendation from clients and industry experts. As noted by The Legal 500: "According to clients, Ost Legal provides a high-quality service and it is the best advisor in field of Electric Power Industry in Russia". Vladimir Lipavsky (the managing partner) is singled out for praise for his "good knowledge of the industry and ability to provide legal services at an international level".
Within Energy and Natural Resourses practice Ost Legal provides the following services:
- Drafting, review and negotiating energy and natural resources purchase agreements: electric and heat power and capacity, gas, oil and oil products, including long-term agreements based on "take-or-pay" basis
- Drafting, review and negotiating contracts for transportation of energy and natural resources
- Advising on and structuring independent power plant (IPP) projects (including using BOO, BOOT, BLO, BLOT models)
- Advising on legal issues of wholesale and retail markets of electric energy and electric power
- Advising on and negotiating turbine supply agreements with equipment manufacturers: GE, Siemens, Alstom, Ansaldo
- Advising on and negotiating long term service agreements for the gas and steam turbines(LTSA, CSA) with equipment manufacturers: GE, Siemens, Alstom, Ansaldo
- Advising on financing (including export and project finance) and insurance of energy projects
- Due diligence
- Dispute resolution
Experience: Vladimir Lipavsky advised and represented clients' interests on more than 50 largest projects in the fields of power industry, oil and gas processing, petrochemistry, microelectronics, civil construction. Vladimir is the author of a number of articles and legal opinions concerning legal regulation of industrial construction and power.
Among recent Vladimir's projects are:
- preparation of legal position and representation of interests of M+W Germany GMBH (the international contractor with headquarters in Germany) on court proceedings on the customer's claim for penalty on the basis of EPC(M) contract for total amount over 1 000 000 000 rubles;
- representation of interests of CJSC Nizhnevartovskaya GRES, the client, in the claim to the contractor for application of the responsibility measures provided by the EPC contract in the arbitration court for resolution of economic disputes at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of the Russian Federation and also representation of the client's interests during presentation of the requirement for the bank guarantee;
- representation of interests of the contractor in arbitration court on the Federal grid company claim for collecting penalties for the contract of project works implementation (total amount of the requirements – over 50 000 000 rubles);
- consultation of JSC E.ON Russia during pre-judicial arbitration with EPC-contractors at construction of power units on Shaturskaya GRES and Surgut-1 Power Station.
Vladimir's Legal experience is more than 15 years.
Specialization: Vladimir specializes on energy, industrial engineering, international financing (including project financing), international trade, litigation and arbitration.
Languages: Russian, English.
Education: Graduated from the Russian School of Private Law under the President of Russian Federation (Institute), Moscow. Has studied at Far-Eastern State University. Juridical institute. International Law Faculty. Vladivostok, Russia; Master of Private Law.